Thursday, January 21, 2010

Make: Mittens

by Designing Mom Liberty


This is an easy and fast project to do this winter for yourself, your little ones, and even for their (toy) little ones. My daughter, Mimi, got a new doll this Christmas which *needs* (wink) many new clothes. I'm of the mindset that I don't need to be spending tons of money on her doll's wardrobe, so we're starting to work on making some of our own. Mimi's cousin's doll was given some mittens for Christmas, so that was first on the list of wants. I used to opportunity to create a chart to get her to practice reading, and after reading 10 board books on her own, she earned some mittens for dolly. The next 10 will give her the match set. You can make these, too. They are REALLY easy.


We went to Goodwill and bought some wool sweaters to felt. We brought them home, washed them on HOT and dried them HOT as well. Then we traced Mimi's and dolly's hands to make patterns. You can see the differential that I left for seam allowances in the picture.

I cut 2 of the mitten pieces with the thumbs facing left, and 2 facing right to make fronts and backs. I even cut them along the neckline and bottom hem so that I didn't have to "finish" or do any hemming myself. Then I placed them right sides together, and stitched a seam around the sides and top (about 1/4") before flipping the finished product right side out.


There's even enough of the sweater left for Momma to attempt another piece of clothing. Might just be a scarf for this one - the red one I made is gonna attempt to be a sweater. We'll see!

1 comment:

Resweater said...

If you need any more recycled wool ideas, just check out my blog!

Kris :)

~ Reuse, Recycle, Resweater! ~
Blog ~ www.resweater.blogspot.com
Shop ~ www.resweater.artfire.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails