Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Decorate: An Inspired Room

by Designing Mom Abby

The inspiration board. It's basically the reason that Style Me Pretty got so popular in the first place. The inspiration board has served me well over the years so of course, when I was designing my own nursery, it was the first thing that I did. Designing these boards made me cry (hormones), made me squeal (hormones), made me so excited to design a space that my baby and I could fall in love with (mommyhood). So, I thought it might be fun today to revisit the inspiration boards that I built for my nursery before I knew that little Audrey was indeed a little girl.

First up, a simple and sophisticated modern baby boy's room...



Most of the stuff has that Jonathan Adler feel (I actually added the lamp today for a bit of oomph). Pure style with a touch of whimsy. I love that you get a modern vibe without being overly contemporary. It still feels really timeless to me and the saturation of colors is just so stinking pretty. Next up, a more preppy, sweet approach to a little boy's room...



Looking back at this board...it's kind of girly. Maybe I knew I was having a girl. Or maybe I just loved the idea of a baby being in a room that was pure "baby." So sweet. So serene. So lovely.

If I had a girl, I knew that I wanted the room to be kind of bohemian chic. I'm kind of quirky, with crazy curly hair (if you've seen a picture of me, I spent an hour straightening it) and a personality that my parents call "spirited." So I wanted a room that reflected the way that I saw my little girl. A little bit messy, a little bit spunky. A lot girl.



And in the end. I did have a little girl. That crazy, messy, spunky little girl that I wanted. And her room...well, it looks nothing like these inspiration boards. Here is a little peek at the room. I'll do a full feature on it another day!


5 comments:

Leslie Fitzgerald said...

What a beautiful portrait of your daughter. Who was your photographer? And it looks like you were able to stick to the original color scheme for her room!
Leslie

Our Designing Moms said...

Leslie...if you're drooling over that photo you should see the whole spread of Abby with Audrey and her hubby Tait. Beautiful, beautiful family.

Dana said...

How fun! I'm in the process of putting together ideas for our nursery. We don't know it will be a boy or girl so it's fun to play around with the different color schemes. Can't wait to see your actual room pictures. :)

Abby said...

Hey Leslie! The photographers were StudioFoto and they are amazing. We've hired them time and time again. Here is a link to the full spread...

http://studiofoto.com/blogphotos/2009/05/style-me-pretty-baby-audrey.html#links

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me what crib and dresser you've used in the little girl inspiration board? I also love the rocker...where is that from?

Related Posts with Thumbnails