Thursday, November 12, 2009

Make: Pumpkin "Oatmeal" Gluten-free Cookies

by Designing Mom Mari


Holiday traditions

This is my daughter’s first year, and sidling alongside all of her normal milestones are my own brand new challenges. Like, how the heck to celebrate the holidays? What traditions do we bring from our families, and what new ones would we like to add? Obviously we’ve got a couple years to sort things out before she accuses us of being Scrooges, but I like to be prepared.

The first order of business: the food. It’s such a big part of family traditions. Most celebrations in my family included cake and cookie decorating. In the fall we always hand-sculpted pumpkin shaped pumpkin-oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies. They only tasted right when coated liberally with frosting and chocolate chips, lots of little candies, and licorice.

However, this is a bit of a hurdle for me. I became allergic to dairy, eggs, and gluten about 8 years ago. I’ve only recently been able to add in some gluten-free alternatives without getting sick. So I decided this was the time to solve that very important ritual. The goal? A cookie that is safe for me, but one my family would eat without turning up their noses.

After years and years without these particular flavors (there really is no other substitute), I still knew from my first bite that I had found the right combination.

These cookies taste like childhood.


Pumpkin “Oatmeal” Gluten-free cookies


This recipe borrows from the “oatmeal” cookies recipe in Cooking Free by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. (It’s a great book if you have multiple allergies.)

My (very picky) husband said you wouldn’t know they’re GF/EF/DF. Enjoy!

2 cups brown rice flour

½ cup potato flour (not potato starch)

¼ cup tapioca flour

1 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp xantham gum

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

½ cup butter or margarine

½ can pumpkin puree

1 cup applesauce

1/4 cup molasses

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 ½ cups GF/DF chocolate chips

1 cup rolled rice flakes (found in natural food stores with the oatmeal)

Preheat oven to 325°.

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper (or grease).

Combine dry ingredients (flour through cinnamon).

Combine wet ingredients in food processor (butter through vanilla).

Add dry ingredients and rolled rice flakes to the wet ones. Pulse until mixed.

Dough will be fairly stiff.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop in large tablespoons onto cookie sheet, flatten with non-stick spatula to 1/2 inch thick.

Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until edges begin to brown.

Makes around 2 dozen cookies.

Frost with vanilla frosting when cool.

I highly recommend adding chocolate chips or shavings on top as well. (or go full-on in the decoration department!)

Here’s a basic frosting recipe, feel free to use your favorite!

A glaze works well too. You just need the added sweetness.

3/4 cup powdered sugar

3/4 cup margarine

1/8 cup vanilla soy milk

Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, blend until creamy. The consistency of the frosting may vary. Add more sugar, margarine or soy milk as needed.

1 comment:

ellyandphil said...

You saved me! I am totally going to make this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails